THE LICENSING PROCESS
CAll me if
you need help.
that you may take the class either before or after doing the online application. The only restriction is that once you initiate
the process, you must complete it within one year.
1. Sign up for a class date and make a class deposit.
2. Go to the Texas Department
of Public Safety (TXDPS) web site. Go to HANDGUN LICENSING and follow the links to “new
applicant”. You can click this link; https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/LicenseRegistration/applInstrInfo.htm
3. Complete the forms and pay
your state licensing fee. Remember there are several discounts available for veterans and senior citizens, as well as law
enforcement. If you don't have an exemption, the state fee is $145 for the first-time license.
4. Print the receipt they e-mail you for your records. Don't miss this step. If
you were born out of the country, click this HERE to see what documents TXDPS accepts.
5. Schedule a fingerprinting appointment. The same link above has a link to the fingerprinting site.
i. Call the number provided from the site or go on-line and set an appointment with the state contractor. This is $10.
ii. Do NOT have any photos taken. DPS now uses your driver's license photo.
6. At the successful conclusion of class, you will
receive a CHL-100 form needed for the TXDPS. This can be sent via e-mail or regular mail. The directions to
do this are on the receipt the TXDPS sends you.
Total outlay is class, state fee, and fingerprinting. Without exemptions, it's $220 ($69 class, $142
state fee, and $10 fingerprinting) for new applicants for the first five years.
If you have questions or suggestions, let me